Monday, June 27, 2011

Rules or No Rules?

I've just completed my nine-week Portrait Drawing class. And, for the last two weeks, I have been very busy doing abstract creations in my Art Journal.

My heart is much happier after I finish a piece in my Art Journal that it has ever been after one of my drawing classes. So...

I think what this is telling me is that:

1) Knowing how to draw is important, and you have to practice to really ever "get there"...unless, of course, it comes naturally to you.
2) Following the "rules" of drawing (or, of my drawing instructor) irritate me.
3) Having "no rules" in the process of making abstract art makes my heart so happy!

So, I'm not going to take any more drawing classes. But I'll keep drawing because I understand what I've learned is important, and it would be a waste to lose that. I've figured out my "style" and enjoy it.
BUT, I'm going to keep doing abstract art until there isn't any left inside of me. It is so much fun to just sit down, grab a medium out of the blue, and "see what happens!" No rules, baby. That's my style.

Here is some of what I've been working on lately.











No comments:

Post a Comment