Thursday, December 10, 2009

Advent

Happy Season of Waiting to everyone! I do love Advent...and might admit that I look pretty good in purple, too!

The wreath is hung on the front door, it's purple ribbon flowing in the cold breeze of late. The tree is still in its box in the cellar, awaiting fresh air - hopefully this weekend! The lights are on the mantle (well, year 'round because we love them so much!), and candles are placed for ambience. Tis the season! Online orders are in transit, and there is much wrapping of gifts and packing and shipping left to do and it really is exciting!

The Deacon at our church, Jane, has for the last two years sponsored a Advent E-Devotion. She invites anyone to share a reflection for one day during Advent, and it is so much fun to read the different styles of peoples' attitudes toward the daily readings! I thought I'd share my reflection for this year, which was for Tuesday, December 8, 2009.

Today’s Readings: Morning, Psalm 26, 28;
Evening: Psalm 36, 39

Amos 7:10-17;
Rev. 1:9-16;
Matt. 22:34-46


When I was asked to write the Advent e-devotion for today, my impression of the readings was fairly bleak, leaving me to ask, “What have I gotten myself into?” Sometimes, waiting and seeing with fresh eyes can be helpful.


Psalm 28:7 acclaims, “The Lord is my strength and my shield; in him my heart trusts; so I am helped, and my heart exults, and with my song I give thanks to him.” Today, reading this for about the fourteenth time, I heard it! All this angst created by telling myself I have no business being here, sending a reflection to only Jane knows who! But today, after waiting and watching and – finally – listening, there was my message.


My heart trusts, so I am helped. My heart exults, and my song gives thanks. It happens every time I remember to put God first, then me, then everything else. And every time I do this, and it works, it makes me wonder what’s so hard about doing this every second of every minute of every hour of every day? Because I’m in too much of a hurry, because it’s too much about me.


It’s still Advent. If I slow down and listen and wait, it won’t slip away from me this year. “To thee, O Lord, I call; my rock, be not deaf to me…” If I slow down, I’ll hear and trust and exult and want to sing every day! For the Lord is so very, very good to me – all the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment